6.23.2009

A man. A son. A husband. A father.

Seven years ago my husband was just a man. A son. A brother. A friend.

Six years ago my husband became just that; a husband.

Five years ago my husband became a father.

When I met Shay, I knew almost immediately that he would be my husband. There was no doubt in my mind that ONE DAY I would marry him. We had our first date and that was it for me. Since then (June 12, 2002) we have spent less than a month a part (combined), day or night. We were inseperable then and not much has changed. Some call us crazy. Some think it's weird. I say it's love.

14 months after that first date, we became husband and wife.

Not too long after, we welcomed our first son, and my husband was no longer just a man. He was no longer just a son. He was no longer just a husband. He was now a father. The BEST father. My son's father.

Never in a million years did I think about that.

I never even thought to "picture" him as a dad. I always knew I wanted kids. I always wanted a family.... four children actually (ha ha -- I was young and dumb, kidding!), but it honestly never crossed my mind about this man, this son, this friend, MY husband, being a father.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't like I doubted his abilities of being a father. I just never put two and two together. I think mostly it was because I was selfish and at that moment, all I could think about was he was MY husband. That was enough. That was all I wanted. He was MINE and I didn't want to share. ;)

But from the moment he became a father, things changed.

I was now tied to him for life. Wow. I thought I was lucky when he became my husband, but how blessed I was when he became my boys father. How fortunate they are to have a man like him to look up to. To be their role model. To show them how to be a man.

This fathers day was like most other days -- crazy, loud, chaotic -- perfect.

We, as a family of four, spent the weekend together, doing nothing out of the ordinary. We hung out at home and enjoyed each other. It was just right. Sure, we would have loved to be on some beach somewhere, drink in hand, listening to the waves crash and enjoying the beautiful scenery, but as long as we are together as a family, we are happy with whatever/wherever we are.

I know this post is late considering fathers day was on sunday and my husband does not read this at all, I still wanted to say Happy Fathers Day to the love of my life, my best friend, my better half, the best father I could dream of for my children, my husband, Shay. It is you who makes this family complete. You truly are such a blessing to the three of us and I could not ask for more than you give to us. I thank God for you everyday and pray that know just how much we appreciate and love you. I knew from that first date that you would be something special in my life, but I had no idea that you would change my life as much as you have.... so thank you. Thank you for being you. For loving our boys and for loving me unconditionally. I didn't think I could love you more than I did that day we got married. I was wrong. I love you more today than I did yesterday and look forward to loving you even more tomorrow.

Happy Fathers Day to one of the best Fathers I've ever known!!





And of course, I can't forget to honor my father, step-father and father-in-law on this special day. Without the three of them I would have never known what kind of man I wanted and deserved. My dad has always been a very special man in my life and no matter how old I am, I will always be a daddy's girl. My step dad has also been a huge part of my life for the last 10 years and he is so much more than a "step" parent. My father-in-law is truly amazing and he really showed my husband how to be a father...so I will forever be thankful to him (and my MIL) for rasising such a wonderful man for me to love!



0 comments: